NYC Four Ebike battery fires

Plaats reactie
GregoryD
Rookie
Rookie
United States of America
Merk SP: Stromer ST5

First I would like to say hello to all and want to say I been enjoying reading the forums. I own an ST5 and here in the USA there isn't too big a following for Stromers.
Just want to share a local story on fire batteries. (My first post)
https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/ny ... story.html
🇺🇦
Stromeur
Admin | Forum Supporter
Admin | Forum Supporter
Netherlands
Merk SP: Stromer ST3 PINION SE

Hey Gregory, welcome in the community. Not many Stromer ST5 owners in the USA, am I correct? You must get a lot of questions about your bike :)

Unfortunately, the NY Daily News thinks we should not be able to read this artikel in The Netherlands:
Unfortunately, our website is currently unavailable in your country.

For forum users that have VPN: put it on the United States so you can read the article :ay

Voor forumleden met VPN: op USA zetten en je kunt het bericht wel lezen,
Stromer ST1 X 2017 - Stromer ST2 S 2018 - Klever X ALPHA 45 2021 - Stromer ST3 PINON 2023
Stromeur
Admin | Forum Supporter
Admin | Forum Supporter
Netherlands
Merk SP: Stromer ST3 PINION SE

My personal opinion: the potential dangers of Li -ion batteries are widely underestimated. But I also take into account that a lot of these fires are probably caused by faulty of bad-quality battteries from stores like Aliexpress and by people that mess with these batteries without any knowledge whatsoever. (Wouldn't want to live next to them.)

Main consensus in this speed pedelec community is that the risk of this type of accidents is relatively small as long as you use the official brands batteries and replace it immeditaly by defects or after it has been dropped.

Battery revision: still a point of discussion because it's hard for consumers to evaluate the quality of the revision comanpanies, allthough we seem to have found a handful of good ones the last two years or so.

Peronally, I don't charge my battery at night while I am sleeping, or when I am not at home. Small effort to minimize a small risk, but with devastating consequences when something goes wrong. Which unfortunately is very good to see on the pitctures of the article that you shared.
Stromer ST1 X 2017 - Stromer ST2 S 2018 - Klever X ALPHA 45 2021 - Stromer ST3 PINON 2023
FreddyH
Veteraan
Veteraan
Netherlands
Merk SP: Klever X-Speed α

Bij deze
Bijlagen
Four NYC e-bike battery fires injure 12 in two days, FDNY says - New York Daily News.pdf
(3.33 MiB) 56 keer gedownload
🇺🇦
There was never a good war, or a bad peace :bn:
[Benjamin Franklin]
GregoryD
Rookie
Rookie
United States of America

Hi Sylvia,
Yes you are correct there are not a lot of Stromer dealers in the USA. I get questions but mainly they have trouble justifying the price of the bike. To me I test rode a bunch of really nice bikes and the Stromer was the one i liked best, that said I hope I made the right choice, my concern is warranty and support. My dealer is 50 miles away and so far he has been great to deal with. The 3g network is being turned off here in the States, my dealer swapped out the Omni to 4g for me.
A lot of the ebikes here in the city are of the cheap off brand type, typical of what fast food delivery people are using. They tend to be a class2 bike that are cheaply made.
On a different subject how can I show the Ukranian flag in my posts? I would love to show support.
Thanks
🇺🇦
FreddyH
Veteraan
Veteraan
Netherlands

GregoryD schreef: 26 apr 2022, 03:34 On a different subject how can I show the Ukranian flag in my posts? I would love to show support.
Thanks
Go to your nickname in the right top of the screen, then choose “gebruikerspaneel”. In the page you get you choose the second tab (profiel), there you can change your flag to Ukrainian. Or you can choose “wijzig onderschrift” (second button just under the tabs) and make a footnote like I have. The flag is just the Ukranian flag emoji.

The first option you have already found, as your flag says USA.
🇺🇦
[Benjamin Franklin]
GregoryD
Rookie
Rookie
United States of America

Hello Freddy, sorry for the delayed response. I was extremely busy at work then got a mild case of Covid.

Thanks for your help,
🇺🇦
FreddyH
Veteraan
Veteraan
Netherlands

GregoryD schreef: 15 mei 2022, 01:08 then got a mild case of Covid.

I wasn't aware that Covid came in a case. Was it nicely gift wrapped? :mrgreen:
Luckily it was a mild case! It can really be a pain in the... ehhm... lungs.
GregoryD schreef: 15 mei 2022, 01:08Thanks for your help,
You're welcome, I see it did help :ay
🇺🇦
[Benjamin Franklin]
GregoryD
Rookie
Rookie
United States of America

Yes thank God it was a mild case, sort of like a very bad cold or mild flu. Feeling good, the weather in NYC is suppose to be good finally, hoping to get some riding in.
🇺🇦
Plaats reactie